A wonderful way to enjoy any outdoor event, would be to fire the smoker up and delight the guests with an unexpected treat. This smoked elk roast recipe provides just that. It is made using a plethora of herbs, spices and other ingredients that have been selected to create a masterpiece that will make the taste buds dance with glee!
Smoked Elk Roast
- 4 Pound Elk Roast
- Kosher Salt
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Herbs de Provence
- Hickory Wood Chunks
- 1 Package Bacon You will need enough bacon to fully cover the roast.
- 4 Cups Bourbon
- 2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Olde Thompson Mesquite Rub
- Thaw the roast and cover it in kosher salt for the dry brine. The salt should be 1/4" thick.
- Place the roast in a covered dish and place in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
Prepare The Injection Marinade
- Reduce the bourbon in a saucepan until all of the alcohol has been boiled off. This will take about 4 or 5 minutes when boiled over medium-high heat.
- Add the soy sauce and mesquite rub and simmer for on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and pour in the maple syrup.
- Fill your marinade injector with the marinade, and set it aside as you prepare the roast.
Prepare The Roast For Your Smoker
- Place some water or beer in the smoker pan. Add some hickory chunks to your smoker and preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Rinse the salt off of the roast, and pat dry with some paper towels.
- Inject the roast with the marinade. When injecting the roast, be sure that you inject it evenly throughout.
- Inject as much marinade as you feel will be sufficient to flavor and marinate your roast well.
- If some of the liquid leaks out, simply wipe it off with some paper towels.
- Rub a layer of Montreal steak seasoning all around the roast.
- Rub a layer of Herbs de Provence all around the roast.
- Wrap bacon all around the roast, securing it with toothpicks.
- Place the roast in your smoker and cook until the temp in the middle reaches 130. This usually will take 4 or 5 hours.
- Remove the roast from the smoker and wrap it in foil.
- Set the roast aside to allow it to rest for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Slice the roast into slices, server and enjoy!